Madderns understands that privacy is important and is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act and Australian Data Privacy Protection legislation. The Privacy Act and other legislation govern how private organizations handle ‘personal information’, which is essentially information about you and from which you can be identified. This website policy is referred to as a privacy notice by the Australian Information Commissioner’s Office (“OAIC”). Madderns ABN 98 056 210 140 is registered in Australia and our registered office is at Level 4, 19 Gouger Street Adelaide, South Australia.
What personal information does Madderns collect?
The type of personal information that Madderns collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with us. We may collect personal information from you when you:
- approach or contract with Madderns to provide you with advice concerning intellectual property or other services;
- contact us via our website (at http://www.madderns.com.au) or subscribe to one of our mailing lists;
- attend a Madderns seminar; or
- have business dealings with us (e.g. as one of our suppliers).
If you are a client or someone who has contact with us through our website, the personal information we collect from you will usually include your name, title, business and email addresses and contact numbers (telephone, fax, mobile). If necessary for the purposes of providing services to you, or for providing you with other information (such as advice as to upcoming seminars or general advice concerning intellectual property protection), we may collect other personal information from you.
If you are one of Madderns’ ‘business contacts’; (e.g. a contact person in one of our suppliers or in a government agency or company with which we deal), we may collect basic business contact information from you (e.g. your name, title and work contact details).
Except as set out below, we do not share, or sell, or disclose to a third party, any personally identifiable information collected at this site.
Information, such as your name and contact details may be used:
- 1.1. to provide you with the services which you request;
- 1.2. for verifying your identity for security purposes;
- 1.3. for marketing our services and products; and
- 1.4. providing that information to IP authorities if you are named as an applicant or inventor and typically that information will be published and available on the Internet; and
- 1.5. for disclosure to Government and their agencies. We are subject to the law like everyone else. We may be required to give information to legal authorities if they so request or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order.
Business and Personal Information includes all information given to us in the course of your business and ours, such as information you give us in your capacity as our client. We undertake to preserve the confidentiality of the information and of the terms of our relationship. It is not used for any other purpose. We expect you to reciprocate this policy.
We keep information, which forms part of our business record for minimum of six years. That is because we may need it in some way to support a claim or defense in court. That is also the period within which our tax collecting authorities may demand to know it.
If you send us information in connection with a job application, we may keep it for up to [three] years in case we decide to contact you at a later date.
If we employ you, we collect information about you and your work from time to time throughout the period of your employment. This information will be used only for purposes directly relevant to your employment. After your employment has ended, we will keep your file for at least six years before destroying or deleting it.
At any time you may review or update the personally identifiable information that we hold about you, by contacting us at our address. To better safeguard your information, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections to your information.